Service & Repairs
The Cotton Cupboard Quilt Shop services all BERNINA and bernette sewing machines. Our full-time service department is led by Bob Numrych, BERNINA Certified Technician. Bob also teaches our BERNINA owner Mastery Classes and has advanced certification on the 7- and 8-Series domestic machines, as well as the Q-Series longarms.
In addition to our in-house technicians, we work with Tracy Redmond fromMachine Repairs by Tracyin Dover-Foxcroft for servicing other brands. Tracy is a Factory Authorized Viking, Pfaff and Singer Technician and picks up/drops off machines each week at The Cotton Cupboard Quilt Shop for your convenience.
A few tips to keep your machine running smoothly between services.
1. Change your needle every 3-4 bobbins (about every 8 hours of sewing).
2. Be sure not to pull your top thread back through the machine. Cut it at the spool and with your presser foot lifted, pull the thread out through the needle.
3. Remove your stitch plate, bobbin and bobbin case and clean around that area with soft brush or Q-Tip. This should be done when you are done sewing for the day. (Note on Q-tips: These are wonderfully useful, but be careful not to leave any cotton shreds in the machine after.) DO NOT USE CANNED AIR TO BLOW OUT THE DUST!!!This actually blows many fibers deeper inside the machine.
4. Most BERNINAS have industrial-style hooks and require light oiling. Most bernettes use low-mass hooks and bobbin carriers and do not require oil. Refer to your owner's manual for instruction on whether/how often and where your machine might need oil.
5. Always use a surge protector for your machine.
6. When not using your machine keep it covered with a dust cover.